Re: Cross-machine settings?

Eric,

Hello! I currently use several different desktops throughout the week --
home, lab, work, my laptop, etc. It's frustrating to set gnome up "just
right" on one and then have an OS reinstall on another make me have to
go and hunt down all those settings again.

I solve this with my ~/.bashrc and the like by keeping them in version
control; is there an easy and elegant way of doing this with gconf
configuration data for programs like evolution, gnome-terminal, my
system menus, and the like? I looked around the web but couldn't find
any examples or discussions of people having this set of challenges, but
I was hoping some of the gnome developers could share how they solve
this proliferation-of-machines-and-dotfiles-and-gconf-settings problem.

Maybe you can take a look at gconftool-2 --dump and gconftool-2
--load. The first command lets you save current settings to an XML
file which can be moved around and then you can use the 2nd command to
load those settings from the XML file. Maybe this would solve your
problem ?

HTH,
Hemanth