Cross-machine settings?

Hello! I currently use several different desktops throughout the week --
home, lab, work, my laptop, etc. It's frustrating to set gnome up "just
right" on one and then have an OS reinstall on another make me have to
go and hunt down all those settings again.

I solve this with my ~/.bashrc and the like by keeping them in version
control; is there an easy and elegant way of doing this with gconf
configuration data for programs like evolution, gnome-terminal, my
system menus, and the like? I looked around the web but couldn't find
any examples or discussions of people having this set of challenges, but
I was hoping some of the gnome developers could share how they solve
this proliferation-of-machines-and-dotfiles-and-gconf-settings problem.

Thanks!
		...Eric