Re: Merging gconf-dbus(-2.6) to HEAD

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 11:56 +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

> As far as I know nobody is workign on this.

Okay.. I looked very quick (less then 15 minutes) at the design/sources
of gconf's gconf-dbus branch.

At first sight it's a very small and not very difficult sourcecode so
imho any experienced GNOME/Gtk+ application developer can easily join
the fun. I really somebody does this. I know that when I'm not the only
person doing some opensource-project, I'm often more into actually
finishing what I started.

This is a very first TODO-list. Please tell me what you guys think of
it. I don't yet know how much time I'll devote on this. I don't know if
any of it will ever get in a usable state. I do have a professional job.
Few time and whats worse (for the time I can spend on this): a real life
girlfriend.

At this moment I'm just doing investigations and measuring the
possibility to get a gconf-on-dbus into shape and usable as "the" gconf
thats going to be distributed as default configuration-registry for all
newer GNOME releases.

o. Move all *-dbus.c/h files to ipc/dbus/
o. Move all *-corba.c/h files to ipc/orbit/
o. Create Makefile.am files for all this
o. Rename configure.in to the now standard configure.ac and clean it up
o. Create a ipcs/gconf_ipc.h with prototypes of the the non-static
   functions
o. Reduce .h files in ipc/dbus/ and ipc/orbit/
o. Adjust the #include statements in all .c files
o. Fix the ipc/dbus/ stuff to match it with whats current in D-BUS. I
   have no experience whatsoever with D-BUS and a.t.m. there's few D-BUS
   API documentation available. So I could use some help with this from
   somebody who has already DBUSified his application and knows about
   the quirks and have-to-know-this's of D-BUS. I have experience with
   ORBit-2 so understanding whats current wont be difficult for me
   personally.
o. Fix the ipc/orbit/ stuff that cause of all this is now broken
o. Create a libgconf/ directory
o. Move gconf/ to daemon/
o. echo > daemon/Makefile.am
o. vi daemon/Makefile.am
o. Move all files that aren't related to the daemon to libgconf/
o  vi libgconf/Makefile.am
o. Remove all GNOME-specific samples and tests. Recreate
desktop-environment independent samples and tests.

I haven't checked (and gconf/Makefile.am is very ugly to read) but it's
possible that the library shares .c files with the daemon for it's
compilation a.t.m. If so:

  o. Create common/
  o. Move all files shared between the daemon and the library to common/
  o. Create a common/common.h and put all prototypes of non-static
     functions here
  o. Create Makefile.am files that will make both the library and the
     daemon linkable against the resulting .o file of this common-stuff
  o. Adjust the #include statements in all .c files

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org