Re: Merging gconf-dbus(-2.6) to HEAD

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 09:19 +0100, Richard Hult wrote:
> Philip Van Hoof wrote:
>  > Hi there,
>  >
>  > o. What is the latest DBUS branch? gconf-dbus-2.6 or gconf-dbus?
>
> gconf-dbus-2.6 is the one that works, gconf-dbus is half-way updated of
> the 2.8 CORBA branch.
>
>  > o. Are there plans to make the DBUS-branch become HEAD someday?

> No, not really. The plans are here:

> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/plans.html

I already read that page yes. It was one of the documents that make me
interested in the status of gconf-on-dbus :-).

So the plans are to eventually let the default gconf work with dbus but
while thats not finished quietly keep the current ORBit-2 stuff doing
its job (and bugfixing important bugs)?

> I would be a lot easier to redo the ipc layer from scratch since both
> gconf and dbus has changed a lot since the original dbus version was
> written.

Are there plans and people working on this rewrite? If so, who's doing
what and whats the status? Can I help with something (perhaps something
small to begin with)? How is this going to happen? On first sight it
looks to me that the orbit-specifics and the dbus-specifics are at this
moment or in database-orbit/dbus.[c/h] or separated by #ifdef's.
Wouldn't it be better to do this as done for the backends?

gconf/backends/xml/
gconf/gconf/
gconf/ipcs/orbit/
gconf/ipcs/dbus/

So create a .o file for dbus and a .o file for orbit and link the daemon
with one of both .o files. It looks like at this moment it isn't really
a nicely separated layer like a backend-layer is.

Or are the plans to completely drop the orbit-ipc-layer? (I personally
would dor that since it will only be extra baggage to keep supporting
it).

I tried searching the archives of gconf-list but there isn't much
activity on the dbus-subject.

http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/search?query=dbus&subquery=%2Buri%3A%2F%
5Ehttp%3A%2F%2Fmail.gnome.org%2Farchives%2Fgconf-list%
2F&reference=off&submit=Search%21

Gives me 5 posts :-\

And

http://people.imendio.com/micke/gconf-dbus/