Re: gconf error

Hi Neil,

I am not so sure that I am running gconf-2. I spent several hours trying to resurect settings. I started by doing something that Rajkumar Sivasamy <rajkumar siva wipro com> wrote about Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:12:36 +0530, titled Gconf/Cobra Errors

"As a workaround deleting my ~/.gconfd directory and restarting GNOME
fixes the issue, but after few days of usage the problem starts again (I
couldn't succeed in getting a test case scenario which could reproduce
this)."

I checked what you recommended, and found that my locale was en_US.UTF-8, and ran gconfig-editor from a terminal window to get any errors directly. Boy did I get them too. Cobra errors left and right. every time I clicked on something I got an error.

I found that literally everything (with regard to the desktop) was set to integer, and not set. So, I started in manually setting stuff to known values, and variable types. It is taking a long time, but seems to be going OK for now.

The desktop is not the only place I am getting errors either. Sometimes I start Gnome software from KDE, and get configuration errors. They may be window related though.

I am wondering what may have triggered this whole mess. I like the way that KDE works better than Gnome, so I normally run the KDE desktop, and have made a few kernal changes from KDE. Simple stuff really. I added USB Serial support as well as USB Palm/Sony Clie support. I'm not sure that this did anything either, as I have experienced this problem in two seperate installations of Red Hat 9. My most recent installation was on Jan 29.

If you can help, I would sincerely appreciate it. Or, if you know another avenue to take, that would also be very appreciated.

Best Regards,

Tom

Message: 1