Re: gconf error

Around about 22/02/05 01:34, Tom T typed ...
I have searched the Archives, but have not found a resolution to a problem that I am having with gconf2. For no apparent reason, the entire desktop configuration is lost, ...

  Not sure there's anyone else on the list ...

I can only report my 'fix' for the non-existent gconf values I was suffering with since updating my box (although I suspect it'll be different for you as it seems it 'just happened' for you).

On my Fedora Core 3 box, gconf was malfunctioning *badly* with respect to defaults from the schema files. I finally tracked it down to having a locale of 'en_GB' (/etc/sysconfig/i18n); on my FC3 PVR fresh-install, locale was en_GB.UTF-8; when I set my box to have that locale, gconf magically worked OK.

Try running gconf-editor and see if you can find an offending value (my dead ones said '<no value>'). Then try getting it or just its type manually with gconftool-2. My next step was getting the debuginfo RPMs for GConf2 etc. and getting down and dirty with ddd/gdb ...

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature