gconf error

Hi,

I have searched the Archives, but have not found a resolution to a problem that I am having with gconf2.  For no apparent reason, the entire desktop configuration is lost, and I get the following message in a message box when I try to run the gnome-theme-manager:
"The default theme schemas could not be found on.  This means that you probably don't have metacity installed, or that your gconf is configured incorrectly."
"metacity" is installed, and running, and I don't know where to go to correct the configuration so I can manipulate it.

Before all this happened, I just logged in, and got an error (don't remember what it said, except that it also said that gconf was configured incorrectly.  The entire desktop was screwed up, and things like auto repeat on the keyboard doesn't work, and my mouse curser jumps around on the screen now.  When I am in KDE, I don't have any of these problems.  Can someone help?

Regards,

Tom