Problems with null/missing gconf defaults

I'm not completely au fait with the functioning of gconf, but I've come to the conclusion that a number of nasty gnome problems I've been suffering since upgrading Fedora Core 2 to 3 all come down to gconf.

It appears as if [stop me if I start talking rubbish] default values, which I believe come from schema files, are not making it through to apps. in most/all cases.

This causes a no. of malfunctions/crashes in several gnome apps., which I've tried to pin down in gdb.

According to gconf-editor (which itself took a while to get running as it was crashing at start-up), lots of fields which I'd expect to be set (e.g., metacity default settings/bnidings) are /present/, but have no type or value.

If I gdb a crashing app. (first I had was gnome-background-properties) it seems to be calling 'gconf_client_get()' and getting no error, but also a NULL return, & I'm guessing diff. apps. handle this differently. g-bg-prop crashed upon receiving a 'null' backgound filename.

If I manually set the type & give a value to problem fields, which presumably get put in my ~/.gconf settings, the various problems seem to be worked around, but I balk at having to do them all for every user.

Other apps. aren't crahsnig, but are behaving bizarrely (e.g., windowlist is zero width).

Starting with a brand new user and/or blatting ~/.[a-zA-Z]* does not solve anything, which leads me to suspect the access of defaults.

So: any ideas as to where I should start looking? Does it *sound* like gconf?

  I've 'rpm -q --verify'd the gnome & gconf RPMs, FWIW.

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature