Re: GConf in Debian Sarge

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 05:08, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 04:53, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le mar 22/06/2004 à 00:36, Ross Burton a écrit :
> > > Havoc's points and arguments for not moving the installed defaults to
> > > /var make sense to me, and I now don't see any problems with the current
> > > setup in /etc/gconf.  It's a small problem that there are
> > > package-generated defaults in /etc which shouldn't be modified by the
> > > local administrator,
> >
> > If they shouldn't be modified, they shouldn't go in /etc.
>
> Really, this is identical to shipping a config file with various
> settings, and the local admin changes some and some of them remain what
> shipped with the OS.
>
> gconf.xml.defaults/* is conceptually one big config file.
>
> Many packages have a default config file and then can include site-local
> changes in a "local.conf" or a ".d" directory; in that case, do you put
> the default config file in /var? The gconf case is the same.

Agreed.

> > Maybe a compromise would be to move only
> > /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas to /var and setup a symlink. If
> > these files must not be modified by the administrator, the directory
> > structure has to reflect it.
>
> I think you guys missed one of my suggestions. If you want to move the
> installed schemas to /var, what you need to do is put this in
> /etc/gconf/2/path:
>
> xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults
> xml:readonly:/var/lib/gconf/gconf.xml.schemas
>
> Then have the schemas install to gconf.xml.schemas, and have admins edit
> gconf.xml.defaults.
>
> However, moving gconf.xml.defaults to /var is wrong. If you want the
> package-managed stuff in /var then OK, but don't move gconf.xml.defaults
> there, that is just broken.

Also agreed.

> However, I'll repeat my caveat on this whole thing: the #1 problem with
> gconf today is that most admins do not understand the
> defaults/schemas-files/schemas-objects/installation/etc. mess (and based
> on this thread, neither does anyone else... ;-))

I wonder if the GNOME 2 Administrators Guide covers GConf architecture
from the sysadmin point of view.  If so, that needs packaging asap.

> So we should be really careful that whatever we're doing makes this all
> simpler, not harder. If you guys are going to spend a lot of time on
> this, I'd say a suggestion like the one in my blog to simply not install
> schemas to the gconf sources at all might be the way to go.
> (http://log.ometer.com/2004-03.html#1) I don't *know* this is the way to
> go (there are certain problems we'd have to solve - some gconf keys are
> shared by a bunch of apps is the main one :-/) but it'd be worth
> thinking about.

Personally, I don't think we can spend a lot of time on this *now*.
We've got Sarge to release, GNOME has 2.8 to release, and this topic
needs more thinking about.

As I see it my previous proposal is still good.  Josselin?

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./