Re: GConf in Debian Sarge

Le mar 22/06/2004 à 00:36, Ross Burton a écrit :
> Havoc's points and arguments for not moving the installed defaults to
> /var make sense to me, and I now don't see any problems with the current
> setup in /etc/gconf.  It's a small problem that there are
> package-generated defaults in /etc which shouldn't be modified by the
> local administrator,

If they shouldn't be modified, they shouldn't go in /etc.

> but these are restricted to a subset of the
> defaults tree (/schemas)

Wrong. The defaults are also written to the other directories. I don't
know whether this is a wanted behaviour from gconftool, but that's what
it does.

> and I consider this to be insignificant enough
> not to worry about.  The rest of the files in
> /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults are admin-set defaults and are not changed
> by packages.

I'm fine with being unable to change these files by other packages; as
Havoc said, modifying the schemas is the right thing to do, so we don't
need some other mechanism.

> At least, this is how I see it...
>
> Josselin, this is different from your original proposal -- have any
> comments?

Maybe a compromise would be to move only
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas to /var and setup a symlink. If
these files must not be modified by the administrator, the directory
structure has to reflect it.
: :' :           josselin mouette ens-lyon org
`. `'                        joss debian org