Re: Panel Launcher Config

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 22:13, Terry Davis wrote:
> I want to add a default set of application launchers to a panel for all
> users, I'm using Gnome 2.6 on slackware.
>
> I have read the sysadmin manual, but it seems to leave out how to set up a
> preconfigured panel with gconftool-2
>
> I have been building a panel, then dumping it to a file, then loading it to
> the default, and it seems to do all that, i.e. gconfeditor shows all the
> content, but nothing is displayed in the panel.
>
> I assume this is because the 'panel-default-setup.entries' file is not set
> up, and I cant find a way to do so.
>
> Anyone got a hand up here?

	I started to write a document that would include answers to these kind
of questions, but only got so far and ran out of time to work on it:

  http://people.redhat.com/markmc/deployment-docs/

	Most of the info to answer your question should be there, if not feel
free to ask more questions. Once you've figured it out, it would be good
to write up a mini HOWTO and post it here.

	One thing you need to be aware of is that when you add launchers to the
panel they are copied to ~/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers and given
pretty insane random names. If you look through your dump file you'll
see which ones you need - you should copy those to a system wide
location, give them sane names and replace the GConf value with the full
path to that .desktop file. If the .desktop file is just a copy of an
.desktop file which is already available in a system wide dir, just
point the GConf value at that .desktop file.

Cheers,
Mark.