Re: ideas on gconf-usage on multiple computers

Hello everyone,

well maybe I should just go ahead and translate the .pdf with my general
ideas, since I couldn't make myself clear. :-)

The main point of my project is not to depend on shared
/home-directories and operating systems. User data is held centrally, so
I just could use special_app_supporting_my_project on my computer at
work under Windows and have the same preferences being used (though
slightly changed for special OS- and version-dependent tags) at home
under my lovely GNU/Linux.

> I had suggested dbus since, at first glance, you appear to want to write
> a functional equivalent of gconf while the free desktop community is
> potentially interested in gconf over dbus. (which should also be a
> functional equivalent of gconf)

I couldn't find out, where or how to use dbus for that task and would
love to know how to use it.

My idea is not to replace gconf or gconf-dbus at any rate. I'd just
liked to know, if there was any interest for gconf in general and at
which points I should be careful to allow (a possible but rather
unlikely) integration, since there are lots of gconf-supporting apps
under Windows, etc.

It is perfectly clear to me that my considerations are very hypothetical
and far from reach, but since I'd like to do things right, I thought I
just ask. :-)

Bye,
 Daniel