Re: Faster automatic shutdown

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 09:28, Sean Atkinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to demonstrate users roaming between machines with NFS mounted
> /home.  As you can probably guess, the gconfd-2 hangs around after a
> session logout causing a warning regarding the existing use of
> preferences if another login is attempted on a separate machine within a
> couple of minutes (in fact I timed 100 seconds).
>
> Generally perhaps users could just wait or not even swap over fast
> enough to notice, but for a short demo it's a pain.  I know this topic's
> been discussed already, but I can't seem to find the solution I need.
>
> There's some relevant advice on http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/:
>
> You could put a "gconftool --shutdown" in your .logout script or the
> like, if you want it to exit sooner.
>
> However after playing with various scripts, I can't figure out how to
> apply this.  Gnome doesn't seem to have direct support for logout
> scripts.  I also get the impression that the command must be issued from
> within the Gnome environment to connect to the server, which complicates
> things.
>
> My setup is Red Hat 9 with Ximian Desktop 2, all fully updated (i.e.
> GConf2-2.2.0-1.ximian.6.7).
>
> Any ideas?

no  - but I can tell you some nightmares :)

go check out the archives of gnome-redhat-list and gnome-deployment-list
and look for posts about gconf :)

You're going to run into more problems in a shared-homedir-via-networkfs
environment once people starting using evolution or better yet - if they
start logging in to two places at once.

just go ahead and write up the docs about what the user will see when it
is broken and how they can fix it - post them on the door to your office
and point people there. You'll need them.

There are some good ideas posted by havoc pennington on the
gnome-deployment-list about how to fix this - but it needs someone to do
the work.

-sv