Re: cannot register existing type `LINCConnection'

On 7 Jul 2003, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Botond,
>
> On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 14:37, Botond Botyanszki wrote:
> > I'm working on a gtk2 input module that uses GConf to store its settings.
> > If the input module is loaded twice I get a segfault caused by GConf.
>
> 	Ok - so this is most likely because the static variable used to store
> the GType in the foo_get_type() method is re-initialized to 0 - so we
> try to re-register the type.
>
> 	You walk into a whole can of worms here. I don't recall what the
> official solution is; AFAIR there was some design I saw somewhere once
> to make things like this work - Tim ?

gtk input modules usually:
a) don't conditionalize type registration to a static variable
b) use GTypeModule which takes care of your type registration.
so if you're implementing an input module like the rest
of input modules in gtk, you shouldn't get a warning about
type reregistration.

> 	Regards,
>
> 		Michael.

---