Re: D-BUS enabled GConf available

Owen Taylor wrote:
On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 17:57, Michael Meeks wrote:

Hi Mikael,

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 23:27, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

* The CORBA-version has always had a problem with not dying together with the session (still doesn't) which means you have problems if you login from several locations (for example in a thin client setup).

	Well; the odd thing is - we have a client using umpteen thin clients in
anger; they have a 'blade' setup, whereby eg. they run evolution on 1
blade, galeon on another, nautilus on another - and (I assume) this
rather relies on GConf's network transparency in order to keep settings
coherent.[1]

In real experience, GConf's current network transparency is a disaster
not because of problems with the usage of CORBA, but because of the
ad-hoc nature of it. Just because workstation A and workstation B share the same home directory doesn't mean that workstation A can access
arbitrary (or any) network ports on workstation B. So, if the GConf
server happens to start up on workstation B because the user logged
in there first, then the user can't use GConf on workstation .

This is -very- true, even more so in a protected network environment (ssh X forwarding between machines. Its a fairly transparent setup, except that gconf dies horrid death on it) where you can't even address the machines in between eachother. Having gconf aware of something that goes through the X standard protocol would be -very- welcome in order to avoid ugly dynamic port-forwarding rules.

The D-BUS protocol isn't limited to local network connections, so a
D-BUS based protocol could certainly be reused for the central server
as well as a CORBA-based protocol, though perhaps neither is right.

Sounds great, and something I'd for one welcome

  // Spider