Re: Lock NFS ?

Aurélien Le Provost wrote:

On your server, when you
rpcinfo -p localhost
do you see the nlockmgr (and nfs and status) in the resulting output?

No :

nestor|~# rpcinfo -p localhost
   program no_version protocole  no_port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp   1025  status
    100024    1   tcp   1024  status
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100005    1   udp   1000  mountd
    100005    2   udp   1000  mountd
    100005    1   tcp   1003  mountd
    100005    2   tcp   1003  mountd

Well, that's ofcourse a problem...

Ok... But where the additional messages can be found ? Not on the standart output I think :

nestor|~# /etc/init.d/portmap stop
Stopping portmap daemon: portmap.
nestor|~# /etc/init.d/portmap start
Starting portmap daemon: portmapStarting /sbin/portmap...
.

Maybe anywere in /var/log/ ? I look syslog, kern.log and messages but I don't find anything.

portmap usually logs to syslog, it should therefore appear in var/log/messages and/or /var/log/syslog unless your syslog configuration removes it. Well I would do:

/etc/init.d/portmap stop
/sbin/portmap -dv

which should spew stuff onto standard output.

Good luck

Thank, and thank very much for you interest to my problem :-)

PS: do you use the kernel or the user space nfs daemon?

Well, my kernel support NFS client and server, but I think I use the user space daemon :

nestor|~# dpkg -l "nfs*"
un  nfs-client                 <néant>
ii  nfs-common                 1.0-2
pn  nfs-kernel-server          <néant>
pn  nfs-server                 <néant>
ii  nfs-user-server            2.2beta47-12

Bye

root srv0:~# dpkg -l "nfs*"
un  nfs-client     <none>         (no description available)
ii nfs-common 1.0-2 NFS support files common to client and serve
ii  nfs-kernel-ser 1.0-2          Kernel NFS server support
un  nfs-server     <none>         (no description available)
pn  nfs-user-serve <none>         (no description available)
pn  nfsboot        <none>         (no description available)
pn  nfsbooted      <none>         (no description available)

Well apparently we use the nfs-kernel-server (ii=install,installed) and not the
nfs-user-server (pn=purge,not installed).

This is a significant difference.

Did you consider switching to the nfs-kernel-server ?

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/aguelzow