Re: No validation against schemas?

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:51:52PM +0100, Jim Arnell wrote:

> 1) I have made a simple schema that I installed without
>  problems. However, when adding a key that is not in the schema
>  using gconf-editor, it did not complain. Why is that, isn't that
>  the purpose of the schema?

No, the schemas are a bit different from ldap schemas etc. The only
way they are used at runtime is for default values ("the default theme
is foo"). Otherwise they are just informative to the sysadmin.

> 2) Documentation about simple types is very good. I would like to
>  use list and map too, is there anywhere else than the source on
>  how to find information on how lists should be "formatted" in
>  order to be read by future versions of gconf-editor?

I'm not sure gconf-editor supports lists, but the format should end up
converted to gconf storage format on the disk, so it'll always be
future-safe.