Re: Lock problem

"Adam D. Gorski" <agorski engin umich edu> writes:
> If I understood you correctly:
>
> agorski Zaphod:~/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock $ls -l
> total 2
> -rwx------  1 agorski  agorski  266 Mar 24 11:47 ior
>
> Is that the file? It's there :(

Whoa, that's just bizarre. I don't see how it could be there,
and then link() returns "no such file or directory" - this just
means very little to me other than "what the..."

> Also, the file contains a huge string starting with:
>
> 46815:IOR:010000001500000049444c3a436f6e66 etc.

Right, this is the "address" of a CORBA server, namely gconfd.
It's long because it's hex-encoded and contains a bunch of random bits
which are a security cookie.

> I'm willing to work with you guys on this, and I can provide as much
> info/testing/etc as needed. I figure I can help you out maybe, and you can
> help me out for sure :)

I'm not at all sure where to start. Probably as a first step we should
be sure you have a reasonably recent gconf version.

Maybe an strace of gconfd when it's exiting:
 - run "gconftool-1 --shutdown"
 - ps jaxwww | grep gconf to verify no gconfd is running
 - run "strace -o output gconfd-1" in a terminal
 - run "gconftool-1 --shutdown" again
 - see if the warnings appeared in syslog
 - if so, look at the end of "output" and see what the link()
   system call returned and what its arguments were and so on
 - double-check the contents of ~/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock
   while you're sure no gconfd is running

I'm basically just grasping at straws though.