Re: gconftool documentation

Olivier Berger <olivier berger int-evry fr> writes:
> Now, from what I could understand, trying to use gconftool, gcontool
> --install-schema-file=mymodifiedschemafile, I think this can be used to
> install new user-specific default configuration values, which will be
> taken into account whenever a user resets his configuration, instead of
> getting the system-wide default values.

For a per-user value you would need to add something to
/etc/gconf/N/path that uses a $() variable to name a per-user storage
location. See the discussion of the path file on the web page.

Schemas are normally "factory defaults", admins would not usually
touch them. Then for system or user defaults, you just use gconftool
to set values in a config source on the end of the config path.

> Now, about the way one can set system-wide default values for
> configuration elements, is it done using gconftool ? Or by storing shema
> files in specific place ?

It's done by using gconftool to set values in a particular config
source. e.g. xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults is in the path
by default, and you would set values in that source in order to get
systemwide defaults.

When setting values you have to take the "readonly" out of the source
name.