Re: LDAP backend anyone?

doh.... i sent this on friday from home, but it got blocked.... must have
my email address set different at home... anyway....

shahms,
you might want to look back through the archives for a thread titled
"remote configuration sources".  Basically, it doesn't seem like gconf is
intended to store user data like this (someone correct me if i'm
summarising this wrong :).  We talked about implementing a system similar
to gconf for user data.... specifically, we talked about using the acap
protocol, which would allow all acap aware applications to share the user
data, like bookmarks, email settings, etc.

check out http://asg2.web.cmu.edu/acap/ for more acap info.

I've compiled their acap server, and acap api.  Actually, i hacked up the
api so i didn't have to get kerbose working to mess with it.... let me know
if you want a snapshot of my changes.  I tried to contact the developers,
but haven't received a response.... i still need to get on their email
list.

ideally i think we'd implement an api similar to gconf for the user data,
and have multiple back ends, just like gconf.  I think acap would probably
be a pretty simple, and useful first backend, but i need to mess with it
more....

Ken