Re: GConf design goals.

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Dietmar Maurer <dietmar ximian com> writes:
> > The difference is that only bonobo-conf programs can access those
> > values if I decode everything into a string. Else every program can
> > access/modify those values.
> >

> Why? Any program can call corba_any_to_string() and vice versa.

Only programs that use bonobo-conf, since corba_any_to_string() is part
of bonobo_conf.

But yes, you are right and the two solutions are functional equivalent.
You consider the whole thing as "syntactic sugar", and you think the most
important thing is to simply provide a working solution. IMO there are
some more criteria's to rate the quality of software, so even "syntactic
sugar" counts (for me).

- Dietmar