Cannot compile from CVS

My apologies if this is an ignorant question, but I'm stumped.  I'm
trying to compile GConf from CVS (as I'm trying to build Evolution from
CVS) and it errors out with:

creating libtool
FYI:  Using default config source
xml::${sysconfdir}/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults fo
r schema installation
FYI:  Will build without debugging code
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`PKG_CHECK_MODULES(DEPENDENT,'
./configure: ./configure: line 2087: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(DEPENDENT,
$PKGCONFIG_MODULES)'

Any ideas?  I'm not on the list, so please cc: me with replies.  Thank
you! :)

--
Stephen Williams
mailto:rootusr midsouth rr com

* I tried killing time, but it keeps making a comeback.