Re: building just the libraries?

Please keep list posts on list, by either Replying To List or All.

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 20:52 -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 03:25:02 +0200, "Karsten Bräckelmann"
> <guenther rudersport de> said:

> > Well, I'm uncertain what you actually are about. Which libraries? Or
> > rather, what do you want not to be build?
>
> To tell the truth I just wanted the latest gnucash.  I always get in
> this situation when my box gets to a certain age where I get breakage
> somewhere when I try to build the latest libs that a gnome app needs,
> and I was hoping garnome would cut through the problem, I know its
> not really meant for that.

I understand. Well, the issue is, that one probably can draw a somewhat
fuzzy line between libs and apps. You often can't for dependencies,
though.

For example, libgweather definitely is a lib. However, GnuCash probably
won't depend on it. ;)  In the case of e-d-s, large parts sure are libs,
while some parts may be seen as not libraries.

The important part is, to get the dependencies correct, regardless how
the apps actually interact.

With GnuCash, I am afraid I have not done so myself yet, but maybe
someone else got a garball handy, specifying its dependencies. Please
note, that the easies (and definitely the safest) way to build
additional, custom apps inside the GAR env is, to hack up a garball --
one of these cute little Makefiles. Rather than manually running
configure and make. GAR maintains a full env to build in. It isn't hard,
other than to correctly identify the deps, which needs to be done
anyway.

> > Please note that there are complex inter-dependencies between all the
> > garballs, and there is no such thing as a clean cut between libraries
> > and applications.
> >
> > If you just want to omit building some assorted applications, you can do
> > so rather easily -- if they aren't a required dependency by other
> > garballs you do want to build... Anyway, I guess we can help you best,
> > if you clearly explain your goal.
>
> This sounds promising... so I can tell it to build application foo and
> all its dependencies?

Yes. For example Evolution:

$ cd desktop/evolution
$ make install

That will result in building and installing Evo, after all dependencies
(and their respective deps, recursively) have been built. It will not
build any other apps. However, generally I do suggest to at least build
the desktop/, and then continue adding additional love.

Basically, we are now back to square one. ;)  This works, because the
probably most important part about GARNOME is maintaining the deps
structure. Which still would need to be done for GnuCash by reading its
docs, configure.fu and the resulting log if need be.

Also, please note, that apps like GnuCash might have extra dependencies
outside of the GNOME or GTK+ stack. Given your reasoning above and
outdated libs, this might just as well be the issue. In that case, you'd
need to build these, too, if possible...

  guenther