Re: Garnome 2.20.0 - System Administartion

> By modifying the Slackware startup files to start garnome files is
> incorrect. They won't start because garnome won't be in the library search
> path. dbus is likely NOT loading.

This is not true.  You can start dbus and hal as init script just fine
as built by GARNOME. This may involve some tweaking of configure
settings of these garballs, and/or creating daemon users. I am doing
this myself, running the GARNOME services, started by custom coded init
scripts.

Of course, in this case I recommend adjusting main_prefix in gar.conf.mk
to keep the install in a sane place like /opt/gnome-$VERSION instead of
the default inside the building users $HOME. Frankly, unless for sole
testing purposes, I do recommend this anyway. :)

Note that the $GARNOME variable as set in the example scripts matches
the default case only. When tweaking main_prefix, this needs to be
adjusted, too.

> If you're going to use dbus or hal from slackware, use the originals, do

I believe Thomas wants to not use these from Slackware. :)

Note: You *can* use the system services. However, they need to be fairly
recent for this to work.

> not use garnome. That said, follow the readme and do what it says. It does
> not say start dbus, hal, and avahi in your system startup scripts. It says
> to start it as a user after killing off similar system processes.

Again, this is not true. The commands to kill the system services and
start the GARNOME built ones indeed is being run as the (building) user
in the example -- however, it wraps all this inside 'su', and thus does
the actual work as root. This includes starting the daemons.

I probably should write up some documentation on how I did this exactly,
and publish the init scripts -- but I'd need to polish the gross hacks
and check the details again, first. It's been a while.. ;)

> 4) do not use garnome in system startup scripts. garnome is intended to be
> per user.

As documented in the "do not build as root" section, there is nothing
wrong with using GARNOME to substitute the distro provided GNOME
system-wide.

  guenther