Re: Garnome 2.20.0 - System Administartion

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:34:00 +0100, Thomas wrote:

snip...

> I am certain you are correct. However I had read the README file and I
> think I am doing what it says. I have modified the Slackware start-up
> files in /etc/rc.d to start the Garnome versions of hal,dbus & avahi. Do
> I need to modify the config files in $GARNOME/etc/dbus?  Do I need to
> define special users or groups?
>
> Tom Gibson

By modifying the Slackware startup files to start garnome files is
incorrect. They won't start because garnome won't be in the library search
path. dbus is likely NOT loading.

If you're going to use dbus or hal from slackware, use the originals, do
not use garnome. That said, follow the readme and do what it says. It does
not say start dbus, hal, and avahi in your system startup scripts. It says
to start it as a user after killing off similar system processes.

So
1) kill system dbus, hal, etc.
2) start garnome's dbus, hal, etc.
3) set paths as indicated and start a gnome session.
4) do not use garnome in system startup scripts. garnome is intended to be
per user.

--
Peter