My experience of building garnome-2.18.1 on a 'scratch' linux distro.

I was persuaded to post my experience...

The first problem I had (running make paranoid-install) under desktop
was that evolution 2.10.1 failed to build... Something todo with iconv
... For some reason 2.10.1 refused to find my iconv install (I
installed the latest iconv under $PREFIX (along with everything else).
I fixed this problem by rolling back to evolution 2.10.0. This worked
fine until I hit a problem with krb5... Again evolution didn't want to
play nice. I found (with help) that evolution-exchange had a (silly?)
'hard coded' path to krb5, which I changed to $PREFIX (after
installing krb5-1.6.1).

At various times I had to install various dependencies... Sadly I
didn't keep good notes and my /tmp directory has been 'refreshed'...

Mostly things built fine, or I could easily work out what package was
needed to solve either a configure or a make error. After making
desktop I couldn't run much because of 'incorrect font-config'
settings, which fc-cache didn't fix. To solve this I installed
FreeType and then FontConfig and then ran fc-cache to get things
running.

I tried to make geektoys but ran into trouble with wireless tools (I
can't change the kernel here).

The fifth-toe made fine, again with some extra deps. here and there...
I dropped Gaim because it would not install (seems Gaim has been
renamed and repackaged, so the version in garnome is wrong).

Other than that things seemed to work well... The major problems
clustering around evolution.

Thanks for help, and good luck!

Dan.

P.S. Why not include openoffice?