Re: How long?

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 13:14 -0500, Frank Solensky wrote:
> The FAQ page states:
>
> > 2.1 How long does GARNOME take to build?
> > That really depends on your system configuration. On a Celeron 666Mhz
> > with 128M of RAM, building the basic GARNOME install takes about 7
> > hours, whereas the same build only takes 30-45 minutes on a Dual Xeon
> > based Intel System.

Eek! That's *horribly* outdated. Thanks for bringing it up, we should
update this, along with the entire FAQ...

> I understand "it depends", but I'm running on a 1 GHz portable with 512M
> ram and 2 GB swap space.  The garchive is on my machine, I'm using the
> "ccache" suggestions and I've killed off most everything else that might
> interfering.  I'm well into "day 3" with evolution building.

Hmm, 3 days (assuming uninterrupted building) seems a little bit long.
However, the most important question is: What are you building exactly?
Did you start the build in desktop/, or are you building *everything*
starting in the GARNOME build root dir?

Anyway, after you finished Evolution, you definitely got the lions share
done. All of the really heavy weight apps and libs have been built by
then, almost all dependencies as well -- the remainder in desktop/ is
like "half the desktop packages", but that doesn't take build time nor
deps into account. Finishing what's left should take *considerably* less
time than you spent already.

A note about ccache:  From my experience, it doesn't speed up a *single*
build. Unfortunately it doesn't even speed up rebuilding for most apps.
There are a few applications that really benefit from ccache and a
second build, like Firefox. I once started gathering some detailed
stats, but I have yet to finish this, and post some insightful details.
On the upside, using ccache doesn't punish by taking even longer. For
most apps the differences just aren't significant.

> Are these estimates still accurate?  Is there something else I can do so
> that my build finishes before 2.17.6 is released?

The next release is due Wed -- you definitely should be done by then. ;)

Btw, it will be called 2.17.90 or 2.18.0 Beta 1.

  guenther