Re: dbus + org.x.config.display0 + security

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:36:35 +0100, Ron Wezeman wrote:

> Hi Joseph.
>
> There is no system installed dbus. Only which is installed with garnome
> in (G)/bin. In gar.conf.mk have set sysconfdir=/etc and
> localstatedir=/var. Have added next in /etc/rc.d/init.d/garnome:
> GARNOME=/G
> start)
> boot_mesg "Starting... GARNOME on "$GARNOME
>
> ## Use GARNOME's DBus, HAL, and Avahi
>
> su -c "$GARNOME/bin/dbus-daemon --system; \
>        $GARNOME/sbin/avahi-daemon -D; \
>        $GARNOME/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D; \
>        $GARNOME/sbin/hald --daemon=yes --verbose=yes"
>
> It works, when using /X/bin/startx, with the old X version in (X)/bin.
> Not with the new X version 7.1.99.2 (/XM/bin/X with /XM/bin/startx).
> Have changed the path to /XM in xorg.conf and bashrc.
>
> When installing garnome with sysconfdir=/etc, two etc dir's are created
> (/etc/dbus-1 and /G/etc/dbus-1). All are placed in /etc/dbus-1 and only
> dhcdbd.conf in /G/etc/dbus-1.
>
> I have found that /dev/tty7 is switch from root:root to user:users when
> doing startx (old version). This happends not with the new X version.
>
> O, now I understand what happend. I must install X as root (forget
> this). User could start bin/startx always, but bin/startx (or bin/X)
> must be root to have the rights to change /dev/tty7 to user:users.
>
> This means that the user have no change to try the new X version,
> without root rights.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Regards,
>
> Ron Wezeman
>
> On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 00:39 +0100, Ron Wezeman wrote:
>> Boot dbus-daemon in /etc/rc.d/init.d
>>
>> Dbus-daemon in (G)/bin were Gnome is installed.
>>
>> Xorg not installed in same tree as Gnome. But in separate tree (X)/bin
>>
>> Startx works.
>>
>> Now installed a recently (a few days later) X Window System Version
>> 7.1.99.2 in tree (/XM).
>>
>> When dbus-daemon is not running before starting gnome
>> with /XM/bin/startx:
>>
>> [dbus] some kind of error occurred: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer
>> (Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection
>> refused)
>>
>> When dbus-daemon is running before starting gnome with /XM/bin/startx:
>>
>> [dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config:
>> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied (Connection ":1.18" is not
>> allowed to own the service "org.x.config.display0" due to security
>> policies in the configuration file)
>> (WW) xf86ReadBIOS: Failed to open /dev/mem (Permission denied)
>> (WW) xf86OpenConsole: chown /dev/tty7 failed: Operation not permitted
>> (WW) xf86OpenConsole: chown /dev/tty0 failed: Operation not permitted
>>
>> Is this related with dbus-1.0.1?
>>
>> Wat I'm missing now?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ron Wezeman

I think the problem is you are mixing elements into your host and into
Garnome's tree. A really bad idea IMHO.

I installed most of the FDO programs manually outside of garnome and run
them outside of the garnome scripts. Short of manually compiling gnome and
all its dependencies, I think it very unwise to mix root dirs. JM2C.

--
Peter