Re: starting dbus

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 15:41 -0500, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> Cam,
>
> Both a system-wide and per-session-local message bus needs to run.  The
> system-wide message-dbus, which is used for "system things" like
> hot-plugging hardware devices, is started as root with the command
>
>         dbus-daemon --system
>
> The per-session-local message bus, which is used as a means of
> communications between user initiated applications, is started when
> GARNOME is started. This is accomplished by running something like
>
>         dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session /usr/local/bin/garnome-session
>
> where garnome-session is a shell script that sets up the GARNOME
> environment variables and then execs the GARNOME version of
> gnome-session [see the README].
>
> Applications that use the per-session-local message bus look for
> environment variables that tell them where to connect. dbus-launch does
> what it required so that *all* child processes [starting with
> garnome-session] can see those variables.  See the man page for
> additional details.
>

> -Joseph

This is the script that starts garnome for me:

#!/bin/sh

GARNOME=/opt/gnome-2.14.0
PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$GARNOME/sbin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/site-packages
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share:/usr/share
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg
GDK_USE_XFT=1

export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PYTHONPATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH GDK_USE_XFT
XDG_DATA_DIRS XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session $GARNOME/bin/gnome-session

Does it matter that the garnome environment variables are already set
before dbus is launched?

Just wondering if I am doing it correctly on an unbuntu 5.10 setup.  Do
I need to add the dbus-daemon --system command somewhere else?  I am
concerned that an older version of the daemon is running before the one
I built/installed to /opt has a change to start up.

TIA