Re: starting dbus

Cam,

Both a system-wide and per-session-local message bus needs to run.  The
system-wide message-dbus, which is used for "system things" like
hot-plugging hardware devices, is started as root with the command

        dbus-daemon --system

The per-session-local message bus, which is used as a means of
communications between user initiated applications, is started when
GARNOME is started. This is accomplished by running something like

        dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session /usr/local/bin/garnome-session

where garnome-session is a shell script that sets up the GARNOME
environment variables and then execs the GARNOME version of
gnome-session [see the README].

Applications that use the per-session-local message bus look for
environment variables that tell them where to connect. dbus-launch does
what it required so that *all* child processes [starting with
garnome-session] can see those variables.  See the man page for
additional details.

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net