which version of garnome should I try?

Hello,

I am attempting to update my gnome on my fedora core 3 system.

I downloaded garnome 2.12.2.1, and built it with minimal difficulties, but
when I try to run it, I get an error saying something about

gnome-panel: gtk_drag_source_icon_name assertion failure

So, I tried garnome 2.13.5, but cannot get it to build. I recompiled
python 2.5 into /opt/python-2.5, and specified that in my gar.conf.mk
file, but shortly after starting to try to build bug-buddy, garnome bails
out.

Any suggestions?
I need to be able to build a stable gnome on any linux platform (fedora,
redhat enterprise suse...) for my work.