Re: [ANNOUNCE] GARNOME 2.17.3 -- "do not go gentle into that good night"

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:54:28 +0100, guenther wrote:

thanks for the explanation.

snip....
>> For me, setting up gnome-platform only took two days. The desktop apps are
>> much more time consuming. Hopefully, once set up, I will only have to
>> update a few packages here and there when versions increment.
>>
>> PITA and risky and certainly not pretty!
>
> While we strongly advice *not* to install as root, you certainly are
> free to. This is to prevent users from shooting their own foot, damaging
> the system. Also to not have to support restoring a harmed system or
> being responsible for the damage done. Your goal is different from the
> usual GARNOME use case, which provides a full vanilla flavored GNOME
> Desktop and more. However, nice to see that the GAR system is flexible
> enough to easily adopt to totally different approaches. :)
>
>   guenther

Yeah, I do NOT use garnome to install as root! I have garnome in a nice
protected environment! What I HAVE been doing is developing a usable
dependency tree. Problem is that _some_ gnome libraries, like glib2 and
gtk+ are in most systems along with many of the f.d.o ones as well.

The problem I had is since I do NOT run gnome as my WM or desktop,
SOMETIMES apps on my system get confused when I add the gnome path and
ld_library_path. Having multiple copies of libraries is really bad IMO.

So, I decided to follow the garnome installation path and create packages
for my system which can be installed or removed cleanly.

Other than the difficulty in getting applications organized, the process
is rather straightforward.

Ultimately, I intend on having an integrated gnome system with only the
few apps I use and NOT building things I don't need.

Garnome has been a tremendous help to me though to better understand
what's going on. And, like what you wrote, once done, it's a simple matter
of staying as current as possible. I wanted 2.17 because I use evolution
extensively. Unfortunately, since evo 2.4.x, the quality has been lacking,
so I try and always have the most current version.

Thanks for the ML link so I can better and more accurately follow what's
going on.

--
Peter