Re: [ANNOUNCE] GARNOME 2.17.3 -- "do not go gentle into that good night"

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 13:56 +0000, Peter wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 08:33:39 -0500, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:

> > The 2.17.x branch is the _unstable_ branch. GARNOME is just pushing the
> > envelope a bit further.

> This quote is what confused me.
> > Kjartan was in charge for the official GNOME release, and he happily
> > accepted a *late* new cairo tarball, no earlier than 2 hours before the
> > end of the scheduled release day (and hence about 2 days late).
>
> I did not see how gnome would accept a cairo tarball and how that related
> to garnome. I can understand if this was just a garnome enhancement.

You are correct in that this is not part of GNOME. However, the GNOME
dependencies are part of the official release set as well, and includes
the particularly "blessed" versions.

My wording maybe is a little bit confusing. I just meant to explain why
we released .1, and what the changes are. In this case cairo fixes some
quite important issues. Also we didn't know about the forthcoming
tarball, otherwise we wouldn't have released at that point. We got the
news that there was going to be a new cairo release at least before the
scheduled GNOME release deadline (if not in time for the tarballs due
deadline) right after our release.

Usually new tarballs aren't officially included if released late (more
or less strictly enforced, but generally no more than one day grace
period) -- the two days between tarballs due on Mon and the release on
Wed are dedicated to building and some testing of the release set.  In
this case, the included cairo 1.3.6 actually has been released like 30
minutes before the official GNOME announcement. Hence our surprise. :)

>From your original post:

> Forgive my ignorance, but cairo is not a gnome project, so I am confused
> how it could affect the release plans or be placed anywhere in the gnome
> tree. Is something now dependent on cairo >= 1.3.6?
>
> According to:
> http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ExternalDependencies
>
> cairo 1.2.4 is all that is required.

I am not entirely sure about the exact rules here, but AFAIK the release
team usually applies the "tarball due" deadline on Mon to each and any
project that is included in the official release set. Which includes
cairo.

The (unstable) cairo 1.3.x branch is not necessary, and indeed the
minimum requirement is 1.2.4. However, GNOME 2.18.0 is planned to use
cairo 1.4.x -- thus the release team decided to finally switch to the
unstable cairo branch, to give it some more testing. Note that GARNOME
HEAD (for 2.17.x) already included the unstable cairo before, as soon as
possible, for that very reason: testing. The official GNOME release set
now includes cairo 1.3.x for the first time starting with 2.17.3.

Also note that live.gnome.org is a wiki -- don't trust it
unconditionally, especially concerning being up-to-date to the minute.
That's what we are for. ;)

Hope, this explains things...

  guenther