Re: Unable to start GARNOME properly after install

Hello back,

Badhrinath Sampathkumar wrote:
[...]
When the gnome-session started, it complained about hicolor theme, and
I tried installing hicolor again from the garnome package. Since that
did not work, I did some monkeying, and copied the gnome icon theme to
hicolor and replaced the missing icons. That stopped the errors.
It did not. All the errors inside you log are caused by a missing hicolor theme (which is used by all themes of GNOME) as well as a problem in Clearlooks, the GARNOME default theme.

You should concentrate on these problems first. It's no surprise to me if you have all these errors with gnome-panel if hicolor/Clearlooks did not install properly. Remember that copying the directory is far from enough to make GNOME see hicolor/Clearlooks.

As I said, focus on solving your build errors first.

[...]
I'm using RH WS 3.1. The build did complain about a few things, such
as ximian-connector & gnome-volume-manager. I moved both these out of
the garnome build directory and went ahead with the compilation. Does
the gnome-panel depend on these? If so the build didn't complain about
missing dependencies. The build also complained about missing
libexif.pc which I resolved by setting the environment variable to the
correct path.
No problem for ximian-connector and gnome-volume-manager. They are not dependencies of gnome-panel. Reread the README to see why these are failing to install (esp on a RH distro).

Another detail I missed, the .xsession-errors I currently have
contains a lot of seg faults. How can I enable core dumps for finding
the cause of the seg-faults.
I cannot see any segfaults, only errors. These are due to the abovementioned problems.

Vincent

PS: please reply to the list as well, not only to me (the "Reply to All" button in your mailer should do the job).

--
Reclaim Your Inbox!