Unable to start GARNOME properly after install

Hi,

I have compiled and installed GARNOME 2.10.1.1. The installation was
done as user and GARNOME installed to the $HOME/garnome directory.
After installing and editing the .xsessions file I started the new
gnome. On starting,
nautilus and gnome-panel repeatedly failed with the message "panel
quit unexpectedly" and I was unable to perform anyother operation. The
desktop sort locked up completely, even preventing me from logging
out.
Thinking it might be a problem with my old GNOME, I moved the garnome
install to a new user
 and started again, with no avail. The .xsession-errors file gave a
lot errors relating to hicolor
theme and missing icons. To circumvent this, I copied the "gnome"
icons folder as hicolor and
added a few missing icons. This time nautilus seemed to go alrigtht
but the panel
still fails. The panel at the bottom of the screen is fine but the top
panel doesn't work. Also trying to start any other applications such
"gnome-theme-manager" resulted in the same failure.
When I kill the gnome session and restart, nautilus fails and I'm
having to delete the
".nautilus" directory to make it work again. Could someone tell me
what I'm missing.
I'm running GARNOME on redhat 3.1 WS distribution.

Thanks,
badhri

--
And the sage asked, "Are you sure?"