build error, eel-background-test

I am running Suse 9.2 and I am trying to use garnome
to build gnome 2.10

The build process bailed on trying to execute the
libtool program called from the makefile in
desktop/eel/work/main.d/eel-2.10.0/test

the error is
libtool: link: unable to infer tagged configuration
libtool: link: specify a tag with `--tag'

to fix it I put gcc in place of the complier variable
in this line of the Makefile
LINK = $(LIBTOOL) --mode=link gcc $(AM_CFLAGS)
$(CFLAGS) \

the output used cc, not gcc. That may be proper, but
it halted the build.

Hope this can be of some use to someone.

Aaron Brown