Re: Pango / Xrender / Red Hat 8.0

> Looking at config.status it APPEARS that these extra libraries are being
> put there as a result of XFT.  So, I'm going to try building
> bootstrap/xft and see if that helps (even though I don't think I need to
> build it since it comes with RH8 :-/).

xft, xrender, freetype and friends from bootstrap/ are probably well
worth building on anything pre-RH9, just to be on the safe side.

> I still wonder whether there isn't some way that Garnome should be
> setting "always look at these directories first", generally for all
> configurations.

Actually, it does :)

The problem exists when there are some GARNOME and non-GARNOME (system)
libraries detected by the same application. If you choose to modify your
own export variables when building GARNOME:

* PATH ($GARNOME/bin|sbin)
* LD_LIBRARY_PATH ($GARNOME/lib)
* PKG_CONFIG_PATH ($GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig)

and:

* GNOME2_PATH ($GARNOME/)

Should all be correctly set before you start, then GARNOME will
hopefully find everything in the right order ...

... maybe :)

Paul