Pango / Xrender / Red Hat 8.0

I am trying to build Garnome 2.10.2 for a group of benighted souls stuck
on Red Hat 8.0 (my next trick will be building it for another group of
almost-as-benighted souls stuck on Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 3).

I've read the README, read the web docs, etc. etc.  When I try to build,
the build fails almost immediately when building platform/pango with
this error compiling pango/pangoxft-font.c:

    ../pango/pangoxft-render.h:91: parse error before "XTrapezoid"

Google didn't net me very much at all (surprising!) but there was
someone on Sun who said they had a problem because an OpenWindows
version of Xrender.h was being found.  I checked the RH8 vs. my Debian
"sarge" box and sure enough, the Sarge system had Xrender.h CVS version
1.19 while the RH8 box only had version 1.9, and the older version
didn't have an XTrapezoid struct.

So, I snuck over to the bootstrap/xrender directory, feeling quite
unclean given all the README warnings, and ran "make install" there,
which worked fine and installed a new version of the library and the
header files into my Garnome installation area... good stuff!!

Then I went back and ran "make clean" in platform/pango, then re-ran
"make paranoid-install" from desktop...

and...

It failed exactly the same way.

Looking at the compile line I can see that there are explicit references
to -I/usr/include/X11R6 that appear BEFORE the garnome include
directories, and this is causing the wrong Xrender.h to be found.  This
seems like a problem to me: how do I convince the build system that it
should always put the garnome include directories on the compile line
BEFORE any system directories?

This is my compile line for this file:

  cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=\"Pango\" -DPANGO_ENABLE_BACKEND -DPANGO_ENABLE_ENGINE -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/opt/garnome/etc\" -DLIBDIR=\"/opt/garnome/lib\" -DMODULE_VERSION=\"1.4.0\" -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT -DG_DISABLE_CHECKS -pthread -I/opt/garnome/include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/garnome/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/Xft2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.. -I/opt/garnome/include -I/opt/garnome/include -L/opt/garnome/lib -O2 -pipe -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=sse -Wall -MT pangoxft-font.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/pangoxft-font.Tpo -c pangoxft-font.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/pangoxft-font.o

Help?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith nortel com>           HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools