Re: Pango / Xrender / Red Hat 8.0

%% Bob Kashani <bobk ocf berkeley edu> writes:

  bk> Yes, that's exactly what I meant. :)

  bk> Did you logout and then login again after you made the change
  bk> to .bash_profile?

Fair question.  I actually didn't bother to change my .bash_profile; I
have a script that sets up my environment that I source before I start a
build; I added it there, and I checked that the value of PATH was
correct before I started the build.  I know it was correct.  Just FYI
(and I'm not saying this for any reason other than to reassure folks
that I'm not making newbie mistakes), I know all about UNIX/Linux,
shell, make, autoconf, automake, compiling source packages, etc. etc.
I've been doing this for MANY years... I was building GNU software in
the bad old days, before autoconf even existed.  Heck, before POSIX even
existed :-/.

I poked around the configure script for pango and the problem was
definitely the XFT stuff.  The configure script looks for the XFT
libraries and it adds those flags to the compile line before the
'standard' X flags, which I guess makes sense.

The moral of the story is (and maybe this goes in the README or can be
encoded into the Garnome distribution somehow... not sure what kind of
dependency capabilities the boostrap/ directory has), if you build
xrender (or any other X library?) you should also build xft and install
it in the garnome location, otherwise the system versions will be taken
instead of the garnome versions.

Once I did that, things started going again for quite a while.

The next break was because there's no libexif installed on my system,
and EOG failed.  I added --without-libexif to the CONFIGURE_ARGS line,
but then Nautilus failed for the same reason.  So, instead, I downloaded
libexif and build that with --prefix=/opt/garnome and installed it.

So far so good... onward and upward!

 Paul D. Smith <psmith nortel com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools