Re: Administrivia

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, Paul Drain wrote:

> Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:42:15 +1000
> From: Paul Drain <pd cipherfunk org>
> To: garnome-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Administrivia
>
> On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 16:30 +0200, guenther wrote:
> > It seems like the queue of "waiting for approval" posts my
> > non-subscribers was recently flushed. For the first time in about 4
> > weeks...
> >
> > As the website [1] explicitly states that you do not need to be
> > subscribed to post (although it really is a good idea to be subscribed),
> > we need this to happen way more often. Who is in charge of approving
> > non-subscriber posts?
>
> That would be me :)

I was recently informed there is a list of people (I think it was the
mailing lists administrators but I'm not entirely sure) who get mailed
about every last message which is awaiting moderation.  They are willing
to help any list to admin their moderation queue if asked, I'd be
surprised if you didn't already get a mail from them a few months back
like I did.

> I do actually monitor the waiting-for-approval list, 99% of it is spam
> mail that gets silently discarded, the rest of it either gets:

> * silently approved (when i'm around to do it) if it has a readable
> subject and/or first few lines of body text.
>
> or:
>
> * rejected with a polite message advising the user that they should
> actually subscribe to the list first and repost their message -- which
> usually happens when a user posts a feature request, or their message is
> in a language other than english.

With a clear and simple list policy like this it shouldn't be too
difficult to get others to help.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/