Re: Building garnome-2.9.90 on a PPC running YDL-4.0.1

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 14:33 -0500, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> albeit with some tweaking, except mono, which has some " #ifdef /
> include file" problems with the garbage collector that I have yet to
> resolve.  Alleyoop cannot be built on a PPC due to a lack of a full,
> working version of valgrind. the PPC version I found on the WEB didnt;
> quite do it.

alleyoop doesn't build for me on x86 either...it's seriously broken.

> * HAL
> YDL-4 does not [yet] run HAL.  Last month I worked with David Zeuthen to
> get HAL to work on a PPC running YDL-4.  The result of our efforts is
> HAL-0.46. You might want to update bootstrap.

Just talked to Paul about this and it will eventually get updated but
for the time being it won't because it requires an upgrade to udev as
well. :(

> * YDL comes with mozilla rather than firebird.
> Building firebird takes slightly less time than the age of the universe.
> Why the switch?

If you have mozilla 1.7.x then you can just add/replace the config
option in the garball Makefiles with --with-mozilla=mozilla but your
fonts might look crappy as I've been told. ???
The decision to use firefox was made by the epiphany developers not us.

> Short Run Summary
> -----------------
> * Not everything ran. Epiphany did not run. There were some others.
>
> * Runtime environment is "weird".
>
> I have three versions of gnome on my system:
> - 2.6.0 installed under /usr
> - 2.8.2.1 installed under /opt/garnome-2.8.2.1
> - 2.9.90 installed under /opt/garnome-2.9.90
>
> I test garnome using a separate test-user account. The home directory
> is initially empty other than a stock .bashrc, a .bashrc-profile,  and a
> .xinitrc that sets the environment and fires up the garnome session per
> the instructions in the garnome README.
>
> When I bring up garnome-2.8.2.1 I get a "clean" desktop whose menus
> contain *only* the things built by GAR.

Paul had a patch to fix this in 2.8.x but things have changed in 2.9.x
in regard to menus so we'll have to figure out a way around this.
Patches and or suggestions are welcome though. :)

> When I bring up garnome-2.9.90, I do *not* get a clean desktop
> containing *only* the things built by GAR.  Instead,  I get all the
> *old* gnome/kde things that usually show when running YDL's
> implementation of gnome-2.6 plus whatever *new* things built by GAR.
>
> How did that happen?

See above...

Bob

--