Building garnome-2.9.90 on a PPC running YDL-4.0.1

I have managed to build  garnome-2.9.90 on PPC running Yellow Dog
Linux-4.0.1, a FedoraCore 2 clone for PPC. Since garnome-2.9.91 appeared
today,  I will defer from presenting a detailed report until I have
repeated the exercise with 2.9.91.

Short Build summary:
--------------------
* Most everything built,

albeit with some tweaking, except mono, which has some " #ifdef /
include file" problems with the garbage collector that I have yet to
resolve.  Alleyoop cannot be built on a PPC due to a lack of a full,
working version of valgrind. the PPC version I found on the WEB didnt;
quite do it.

* HAL
YDL-4 does not [yet] run HAL.  Last month I worked with David Zeuthen to
get HAL to work on a PPC running YDL-4.  The result of our efforts is
HAL-0.46. You might want to update bootstrap.

* YDL comes with mozilla rather than firebird.
Building firebird takes slightly less time than the age of the universe.
Why the switch?

Short Run Summary
-----------------
* Not everything ran. Epiphany did not run. There were some others.

* Runtime environment is "weird".

I have three versions of gnome on my system:
- 2.6.0 installed under /usr
- 2.8.2.1 installed under /opt/garnome-2.8.2.1
- 2.9.90 installed under /opt/garnome-2.9.90

I test garnome using a separate test-user account. The home directory
is initially empty other than a stock .bashrc, a .bashrc-profile,  and a
.xinitrc that sets the environment and fires up the garnome session per
the instructions in the garnome README.

When I bring up garnome-2.8.2.1 I get a "clean" desktop whose menus
contain *only* the things built by GAR.

When I bring up garnome-2.9.90, I do *not* get a clean desktop
containing *only* the things built by GAR.  Instead,  I get all the
*old* gnome/kde things that usually show when running YDL's
implementation of gnome-2.6 plus whatever *new* things built by GAR.

How did that happen?

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net