Re: Cannot rebuild GARNOME after a make clean at toplevel

Hi Vincent,

> To be the more efficient possible at reporting bugs, I decided to reuse
> my source tree and enable debugging symbols in all applications.
> For that purpose, I tweaked the CFLAGS in gar.conf.mk (added -g), threw
> a 'make clean' in the toplevel directory and rebuilt desktop/ as a start.

Actually, for what you are trying to achieve, altering gar.gnome.mk and
changing the line:

CONFIGURE_ARGS += --disable-debug --disable-tests

to:

CONFIGURE_ARGS += --enable-debug --enable-tests

would probably also be worthwhile :)

> I was greeted with the following error :
>   ==> Extracting download/libgnomeui-2.10.0.tar.bz2
>          [extract] complete for libgnomeui.
>          [patch] complete for libgnomeui.
>   ==> Re-libtoolizing work/main.d/libgnomeui-2.10.0
> /bin/sh: line 1:
> /folk/vrubiolo/InstalledProgs/GARNOME-2.10.1g/bin/libtoolize: No such
> file or directory
> make[2]: *** [fixup-work/main.d/libgnomeui-2.10.0/libtool] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> [...]

The fixup: code in GAR is told to find $(GARNOME)/bin/libtoolize, which
wouldn't exist in your new tree, unless you've run 'make clean' in
bootstrap/libtool first -- if you haven't done this, the cookies we use
would have already told GAR that libtool has already been built -- and
thus, don't build it again.

The most effective way of rebuilding GARNOME with debugging, is to use:

* 'make garchive' (after having modified gar.conf.mk) to back up your
tarballs.
* 'make clean' in your root GARNOME directory
* 'make clean' in the bootstrap/ directory
* 'make paranoid-install'

Obviously, using ccache will make the rebuilding process a *lot*
faster :)

Hope that makes sense.

Paul