No icons on the desktop

Hey guys,
I still haven't got any icons on the desktop ... I've got the following in garnome-session (exec'd from ~/.xsession):
#!/bin/sh
GARNOME=$HOME/garnome
PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.2/site-packages
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share
#XDG_DATA_HOME=$XDG_DATA_DIRS
GDK_USE_XFT=1
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PYTHONPATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export GDK_USE_XFT LD_ASSUME_KERNEL XDG_DATA_DIRS
exec $GARNOME/bin/gnome-session

If I echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS I get:
/home/monkeyhead/garnome/share

I've installed both shared-mime-info and hicolor-icon-theme from bootstrap, then make clean; make install in desktop/nautilus.

If I look in ~/garnome/shared/icons none of the subdirectories have any files in them (no images, no svgs, nothing) -- should they? I also downloaded a new icon theme from art.gnome.org and tried to install it, to no avail.

I need some more cluepackets please. *sheepish grin*

-- Glenn