Re: Garnome-2.8.0 unusually CPU hungry?

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 12:53 +0200, Tobias Ottmar wrote:
> Thanks for your replies,
> well, I'm running the 2.6.7 version of the fedora core 2 kernel and my
> hdparms are set to full performance.
> I also have KDE and GNOME-2.6 installed here and in both environments, I
> have absolutely no problems! It's only Garnome-2.8 that makes trouble.
> For the moment, as a workaround, I switch to a normal linux console (ALT
> +F?) and compile there. Compiling in a garnome-console gives the
> described problems...

It is probably a combination of two things: a) the programs installed by
Garnome are not optimized for speed (unless you specifically set those
flags) and b) the widget used in gnome-terminal (vte) is very slow in
itself.

I never use gnome-terminal for anything that will scroll lots of text,
Garnome-compiled or not. A good old plain xterm will give you the
performance you want.

Cheers,
Jens