Re: How Do I Setup Dbus & Hal on Fedora?

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 09:31 -0700, Raul Acevedo wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 10:55 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
>
> > Usually this is due to not having the correct user setup.  Default for
> > D-BUS is to run as the messagebus user.  On Fedora we use the dbus user
> > for historical reasons.   I had that backwards in my previous post,
> > sorry.  So for non Fedora users make sure there is a messagebus user and
> > put that in the <user></user> tag.  For Fedora put dbus there.  If you
> > wish to debug DBUS simply take the <fork/> tag out of the configuration
> > file.  You might want to add a --fork flag in your init.d script because
> > if you reboot with the fork tag taken out it will block when it loads
> > the dbus daemon on bootup.
>
> Ok, that fixed it, thanks.
>
> Now hal doesn't work... same symptom.  $GARNOME/sbin/hald from the
> command line seems to fork immediately, no errors are reported, but a ps
> ax | grep -i hal doesn't show the process.
>
> BTW, how are hal and dbus used?  I've been running GNOME 2.8.0 without
> hal and with the Fedora Core 2 dbus, and haven't noticed any problems,
> even though I know some GNOME 2.8.0 packages won't compile without them.
> You'd think that means something seriously wouldn't work...

You just don't get dynamic additions of removable devices and printer
notification will be borked.  It doesn't break the desktop but limits
some the coolest new features.  In the future the HAL code in gnome-vfs
will be turned on to give better integration with external devices.  Run
hal on the command line with --daemon=no --verbose=yes.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer