Re: How Do I Setup Dbus & Hal on Fedora?

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 10:55 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> Usually this is due to not having the correct user setup.  Default for
> D-BUS is to run as the messagebus user.  On Fedora we use the dbus user
> for historical reasons.   I had that backwards in my previous post,
> sorry.  So for non Fedora users make sure there is a messagebus user and
> put that in the <user></user> tag.  For Fedora put dbus there.  If you
> wish to debug DBUS simply take the <fork/> tag out of the configuration
> file.  You might want to add a --fork flag in your init.d script because
> if you reboot with the fork tag taken out it will block when it loads
> the dbus daemon on bootup.

Ok, that fixed it, thanks.

Now hal doesn't work... same symptom.  $GARNOME/sbin/hald from the
command line seems to fork immediately, no errors are reported, but a ps
ax | grep -i hal doesn't show the process.

BTW, how are hal and dbus used?  I've been running GNOME 2.8.0 without
hal and with the Fedora Core 2 dbus, and haven't noticed any problems,
even though I know some GNOME 2.8.0 packages won't compile without them.
You'd think that means something seriously wouldn't work...

Raul