File selection, Nautilus not working

I succesfully compiled Garnome 2.8.0 (even managed to get dbus/hal
working!) on a SuSE 9.1 system. Everything compiled fine, but Nautilus
doesn't do anything. It is running (ps lists three processes), but no
background is displayed, and running from the commandline also doesn't
work (I see no errormessages, it just hangs. I can terminate it with
with Ctrl-C).

Also, I'm not able to open files using _any_ Gnome program (Gedit, File-
Roller, etc.) When I click the open-file-icon in the toolbar, the
program will hang.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

--
ralphj