Re: benefits of using of ccache?

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 10:48 +1000, Paul Drain wrote:
> > To see if ccache would speed up things, I changed the install prefix and
> > fired up /desktop make paranoid-install.  It is now been crunching away
> > for 4 hours now with an eye-balled finishing time of 6 hrs.
>
> The *first* time you compile something with ccache, there is no visible
> effect -- preprocessed objects can be compiled quicker (the first copy
> in the cache gets used for all subsequent builds), but everything else
> works like a normal compile.
>
> The next time, (or if you run 'make clean; make install' in an
> individual directory) is *much* faster - depending on disc speed and the
> amount of caching space you request.
>
> The reason I recommend bumping the cache space up, is that ccache will
> flush the cache of expired objects when there is less than 10% (I think)
> room remaining -- and when you're building Mozilla, it evicts objects
> quite frequently.
>
> Of course, you can check all this information out by running 'ccache -s'
> from the prompt :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul

I must be doing something wrong, since this build (the second with
ccache "enabled" but to a different prefix) is still going after 6
hours.

I did a make clean before the # make paranoid-install in /desktop as
root.

Here are the stats for ccache:

[root gort root]# ccache -s
cache directory                     /root/.ccache
cache hit                          18672
cache miss                         33116
called for link                     7260
multiple source files                 45
compile failed                      1444
preprocessor error                   439
not a C/C++ file                    1511
autoconf compile/link              10004
unsupported compiler option          149
no input file                       5693
files in cache                     66232
cache size                           1.8 Gbytes
max cache size                       4.0 Gbytes

I enabled the following in gar.conf.mk

# ccache support -- if you would like to speed up your GARNOME build
# at the expense of disc space, uncomment this option.
CC := ccache $(CC)
CXX := ccache $(CXX)

I am on a FC2 box, with all updates installed.

as far as compilers go I have the following:

/usr/bin/cc
/usr/bin/gcc
/usr/bin/gcc34

--
J. Gardner Biggs <gardnerbiggs houston rr com