benefits of using of ccache?

Are their any?

I presumably set it up correctly in gar.conf.mk (since I can see ccache
gcc stuff scrolling by while compling) and gave it a 2GB cache.

I compiled garnome and it took around 6 hrs on a P3-500/512B ram.
(flawless btw paul, nice work! no errors!)

To see if ccache would speed up things, I changed the install prefix and
fired up /desktop make paranoid-install.  It is now been crunching away
for 4 hours now with an eye-balled finishing time of 6 hrs.

what gives?
--
J. Gardner Biggs <gardnerbiggs houston rr com>